Nothing but ......

Monday, May 22, 2006

Moving through the shadows

As you may have guessed from an earlier post I'm quite a Tony Joe White fan. I like 'the edge' on his guitar playing, his deep and warm voice, the simplicity of his music, even though it isn't straight forward Blues. But....perhaps the thing I like the best is the way this man moves through the shadows of the twilight zone between blues, soul and rock.
I'm very fond of this particular sound that is sometimes referred to as Swamp Rock. Robbie Robertson has it, Willy Deville, Dr John, even John Fogerty has it every now and than . I've heard the Allman Brothers Band doing it and Dickey Betts playing it. But nobody has it like the old Swamp Fox himself.
Today's album is a compilation issued in 1993 that covers Tony's recording career in the period 1969 - 1973. This means it contains stuff from his first five albums Black and White - 1969, ....Continued - 1970, Tony Joe White - 1971, The train I'm on -1972, Homemade ice cream - 1973.
Listen to his, almost John Lee Hooker like, Stockholm Blues (track 6), his Southern Rock in Even Trolls Love Rock and Roll, the Gospel influences on Willy and Laura Mae Jones. And who cares if The train I'm on is a Deep Soul song or just a Country Ballad? It works for me either way!

1993 - The Best of Tony Joe White Part 1 & Part 2

The password = "scrooge".
As I found this compilation somewhere on the internet I didn't rip it myself. So it is therefore that it is in 320 kb.
Please delete these files within 24 hours. If you like this music buy the album and support the industry

1 Comments:

  • Thanks - I almost forgot how good he is.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home